Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

School is anything but cool, it's fucking hot down here.


I started school here on Monday at the University of South Alabama. The campus is MASSIVE. They have a thing down here called "The Jag Tran" which is a bus system on campus that runs from building to building. Yes. A bus system to drive you between the buildings, because the campus is so big and spread out that you need a motor vehicle to make it on time. Needless to say, Olivia and I had to get our parking permits. We arrived on campus at 8:45AM to make sure we had enough time to wait in line. Long story short, the website gave inaccurate information on what we needed to get our parking permit. We had to hike all around campus to find a computer to print out a form, and hike all the way back. We did all this on foot in 100 degree humid weather. I was ready to kill someone. At 10:05am we finally got our permit, and Olivia had to drive me to class so I could make it on time because my first class was on the other side of campus. I had the full on sweats, and I literally had to go to the restroom take paper towel and wipe the sweat off my face once I finally got to my first class. If anyone wants to know how hot hell is, come to Alabama in August.
All in all, my first day on campus was a nightmare, but now that I know my way around, I love it. I feel like I am finally making progress, and my classes are smooth sailing.
As for work at NOJA, I am definitely dreading being new. Whenever you start a new job, it is stressful. When you are a server, you develop what is called "your rhythm" it is a flow that is unique to the place you are serving. Once you find your rhythm, you can handle as many tables that are being thrown your way, but in the beginning when you haven't got it yet, working is stressful, overwhelming, and scary. You can get flustered simply by a 2 top. This was the case with me last night. I felt like a ball of chaos, running around, and doing my best to just keep pace. Tables kept asking me where I was from, and wanting to talk about California for hours, and it slowed me down at my other tables. The good thing is, all my coworkers help me out so I haven't got too in the weeds yet.
Last night, I was finishing out my side work, when one of the servers said "Kaitlin, did you look at your check out?" Apparently instead of typing in "$30" on one of my tips, I hit "$3,000". Although I was shocked, I thought no big deal, it is an easy fix. We just have to go in, reopen the tab, and adjust. Well, the computer system at this place is horrible. My manager had to sit on the phone with the company who makes our computer system for close to an hour, they had to dispatch a tech guy to come to the restaurant, and it was a huge ordeal. This was a my first major screw up. I am sure I am going to have more blunders to come.
I am hoping with time I get my rhythm, and learn my way around campus better. I am anxiously awaiting September so I can escape this crazy, ridiculous fucking heat.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment