Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Show me the Money!

It has been a while since my last update. I haven't really had time to do much because I am still sleeping like a bear. Although, recently I have been forcing myself out of bed in the morning to try and get on a normal sleep schedule. I have been trying to hydrate as much as possible, and it has consistently been over 92 degrees everyday.

Everyone keeps asking how I like my new job. Well, it is probably the coolest serving job I have ever had. The entire staff is super friendly, and everyone has been more than welcoming. I will say, that my managers are Republican, and constantly want to talk politics since I am a bleeding liberal. I have refrained from having such convo's, because shit would get awkward. It is better if I don't get fired up. Haha I have been in training for the past week, and tonight was my first night on the floor by myself. Everything went really smooth, and I am finally making some cash. I literally had $1.76 in my Checking Account, and Olivia has been buying my food. Luckily, I got my check for training and my cash flow is somewhat there again. Reasons why Noja is the best restaurant I have worked at thus far:
1.) No Kids Menu
2.) No Kids Cups
3.) No To-Go Boxes
4.) Closed for lunches, holidays, Sundays, and Mondays
5.) No Tip Out
6.) Charge Fee for Splitting Dishes
7.) No Free Refills on Soft Drinks
8.) They have "outings" where the owner treats everyone to a nice dinner or trip.

Yes. This is the perfect place to work while I am finishing my degree. The servers all tip pool, and so they make between $150-$200 a night.

I start school on Monday, and I am pumped! I am ready to be at a University, and just bang out my last 2 years. The University of South Alabama is completely remodeled, and the campus is beautiful. I am not looking forward to trekking it across campus in this crazy heat, but everyone keeps telling me the weather gets better.

Almost daily, I am in awe of the manners that everyone has. I was walking into Subway, a guy who was in the middle of ordering his sub, stopped ordering, walked over and held the door for me. I must've looked stunned when I said "Thank You" because he smiled and said "You're welcome Miss. There are still some gentlemen left on this Earth." Another situation, Olivia and I went out to breakfast, and the table next to us struck up conversation, and after finding out we were new to the area told us all the places to go, and directions how to get there. EVERYONE TALKS TO EACH OTHER. Its great. Honestly, I love the friendliness the most of all so far.

One weird quirk about the people down here is they are obsessed with drink containers. They love coozies, even if they are just drinking regular pop out of a can, they line it with a coozie. They also love cups that don't "sweat" which means double layered plastic cups so no condensation builds up on the outside. I have to admit, I have one now. Olivia bought it for me at the mall. I use it to drink ice water.

I have been doing my best to see the Mobile night life. Each bar downtown has its own little vibe. I went to the oldest bar in Downtown called Hayley's, and I was hit on by this English dude that was traveling the country for the month, then flying home to England. He was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt, and was chubby. He was really aggressive, and kept trying to buy me drinks and kiss me. I told him I was tired and I had to go and he said "I am trying to pursue you. Would you like to go back to my motel room?". Yikes. If the Star Wars t-shirt didn' t kill the mood, the mention of a MO-tel did. Umm, no. I'll go home, and cuddle with my dog Sonny. But other than that, the bars down town are super cheap, and just a great time.

My hair is still yellow and uneven, because I have been to broke to fix it. I plan on going to a hairstylist a girl at my work recommended once I get some cash in my pocket.

Tomorrow morning the owner of Noja is having an outing at The Grand Hotel. He is treating us all to brunch. So I am off to bed to prepare for that. I plan on finishing my room tomorrow, so I will post pictures, and blog about my first day of school.

Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. Well, it's so damn WARM down there, of course they use coozies! It's a Southern thing, I suppose! Glad you're enjoying yourself. Sounds like a great place! Enjoy it, darlin'! You're not missin' much back here!

    ReplyDelete